Friday, September 30, 2016

Thursday, 9/29.....Yellowstone NP: Old Faithful

By time we got to Yellowstone's south entrance, it was mostly cloudy, with a few drops of rain around. We saw a beautiful rainbow against the last of the Tetons as we left that park....I took it as a good-bye message from those majestic mountains, and promised to visit them again in the near future. What a fantastic place!

On the advice of the Park Ranger at the entry gate to Yellowstone, we stopped at Lewis Lake Campground and selected a peaceful campsite for the next three nights. Some of the park's campgrounds have closed for the season, so the ones that are open fill up fast. It is full as I write this at 5pm, so she gave us good advice! There are no electric hookups here, so we'll be relying on our batteries (powered by our solar panels) for power tonight. It is a different, and nice, feeling to be able to be untethered for an evening! Independence!

Old Faithful is a twenty minute drive from Lewis, so we headed there and had lunch at the historic Old Faithful Inn - an incredible architectural job if there ever was one! The architecture was better than the food, but what the hell, we didn't come to OF for the food! But we did see what we came for - OF's on-time eruption later the afternoon. I can't seem to embed videos into this blog, so I'll attach a very brief vid of the start of OF's business in my email to you.....



The video better captures the size and power of the geyser....this is my first time here, so I'm learning a good deal: Yellowstone's many geysers number more than the rest of the world's combined....

Chicken pot pie tonight, with salad and a Ridge zin....more of Yellowstone's magic awaits tomorrow, along with (promised) sunny skies....




No comments:

Post a Comment