Friday, May 13, 2016

Friday, 5/13....Dillon Pinnacles and Lake City

Beautiful morning today, not a cloud in the sky. I slept well, considering  the two-inch incision I have on my left shoulder, which means I have to sleep on my right shoulder all night...Amy thought the rig was too cold, so I'll adjust the heat a bit tonight....got moving around 9AM, and drove a few minutes to the trailhead leading to the Dillon Pinnacles, a way-cool rock formation a little north of the main bridge over the Blue Mesa Reservoir. It's a wonderful 5 mile hike up to the top of a ridge where there are great views of the Reservoir and the Pinnacles....



And, if you look closely, the Blue River Dam in the distance...


After that, the Gunnison River cuts through the Black Canton of the Gunnison into the national park of  the same name....

Had a picnic lunch along the beach of the lake, and then a little siesta....finally got moving and drove about an hour to Lake City, a very old Colorado town, which still looks as if time stopped a hundred years ago. Complete with wood sidewalks....

OK, I'm the antique, Molly's only five.....

Amy found a seat at the general store where I bought a baguette (ok, so the town isn't completely lost in time)....


After a walk around town, talking to some shopkeepers who are waiting for the busier summer season to begin, headed back to our campsite....the drive is back beautiful, with snow-capped peaks looming over the horizon - the Collegiate Peaks....

We're now sitting outside in our chairs, in the sun as it begins to set, listening to some jazz turned up high on the sound system of our rig, drinking some more of that High Alpine Brewery IPA - good thing  I bought a gallon the other day....dinner tonight is roast pork and mashed potatoes (prepared last Tuesday at home, so it simply needs reheating), with some fresh green beans....we have one more beautiful day forecast, and we might drive to Crested Butte, we'll see how we feel in the AM....Sunday's forecast is a bit iffy, so we may head home then - or not! One good thing about an RV is that you can always adjust your schedule!



No comments:

Post a Comment